RE: Original Water Temp Gauge?

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Original Water Temp Gauge?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:56:50 -0800
> I had always just assumed that the previous owner had replaced the
> original gauge for some reason, but then I realized the TR2-3 water temp
> gauge was of the mechanical capillary-tube variety, and my car has the
> wire coming out of the harness for the electric resistor type.

Jeffrey :

Early TR4s did have gauges that appear very similar to the TR2-3 gauges, but
the temp gauge was electrical instead of mechanical.  Since the change to
flat glass didn't happen until some 3500 cars after yours, I would guess it
was originally fitted with a curved glass gauge.  But, it's certainly
possible that the later gauge was fitted by the factory, perhaps the car was
returned for repair before being delivered.

I'm curious, does your flat glass T-gauge work properly without a voltage
stabilizer ?  I believe the earlier domed glass T-gauge was a 'balanced'
movement (like the TR2-3 fuel gauge) that did not require a stabilizer.

Randall