Compressor/Air Tools

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Compressor/Air Tools
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 00:13:10 -0500
If any of you are in the market for a compressor, check out Home Depot.
They're no longer carrying the Ingersol-Rand model 2340L5 (5 HP, 2-stage, 60
gallon) and it was just too good a deal to pass up. Yep, I FINALLY bought a
compressor! WAY more than I need, most likely, but most everyone keeps
telling me I can never have too much air., Plus, I-R is having a promo - buy
a 2-stage (from Home Depot) and get a free 1/2" or 3/8" I-R impact wrench. I
figured I could barely buy a Campbell-Hausfeld (or similar) single-stage for
the price. Now I can finally keep my tires properly inflated! :^)

In looking at air tools, there seem to be several options... Devilbiss
markets a line of Made in China tools (3 or four tools plus accessories) for
about $100. "Excel", I think, is the name. Porter Cable has some Taiwanese
products, priced a bit higher. Then, there's always Harbor Freight's Central
Pneumatic (for THOSE prices, they HAVE to be Far Eastern as well). Also,
Ingersoll-Rand and Craftsman.

Does anyone have any comments on the overall adequacy/quality of any of
these (or other favorite) brands? Not looking to break the bank on tool
purchases, but don't want to have to buy a ratchet every three months
either. I have a hard time believing that a $20 ratchet is going to last
very long!

Lastly (honest!), for restoration and general maintenance of our beasts,
which air tools are the most needed? The impact is free and a ratchet seems
obvious...what else?

As always, any suggestions or recommendations will be most welcome! Thanks!!

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O
There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'...Dave Barry