Re: Do I have a solenoid problem?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Do I have a solenoid problem?
From: "Steve Coupe" <tr6@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 17:04:58 -0500
> All of this talk about starter solenoids has gotten me
> thinking about a problem I've been having with my 1974
> TR6.
>
> Here's the description:  For some months now when I
> first start my car I sometimes hear a horrible
> grinding noise coming from the starter area.  It
> sounds like the gears are not meshing together like
> they're supposed to.  It's not steady and low level
> but a fast, high pitched spinning noise that goes
> right away.  The car obviously does not turn over at
> this time.  After another hit or two of the key it
> usually does not happen and the car turns over and
> starts.
>
> It's now getting more frequent and pronounced.  Is
> this the starter going bad or it something else?  Just
> what does the solenoid do anyway?  Thanks.
>
> Joe Merone
> CF18928
> Find a job, post your resume.
> http://careers.yahoo.com

My vote is for the bendix.  I had the same problem on my TR6.  I removed the
starter and took it to the local alternator/starter repair shop.  $60 later
I had a clean, repainted, perfect starter and no more problems.  I had the
same problem with my Ford 8N tractor on a regular basis.  I think the bendix
because the ring gear problem would get worse more gradually.

Steve Coupe