Do I have a solenoid problem?

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Do I have a solenoid problem?
From: Joe Merone <jmerone@rocketmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 06:50:57 -0800 (PST)
All of this talk about starter solenoids has gotten me
thinking about a problem I've been having with my 1974
TR6.

Here's the description:  For some months now when I
first start my car I sometimes hear a horrible
grinding noise coming from the starter area.  It
sounds like the gears are not meshing together like
they're supposed to.  It's not steady and low level
but a fast, high pitched spinning noise that goes
right away.  The car obviously does not turn over at
this time.  After another hit or two of the key it
usually does not happen and the car turns over and
starts.

It's now getting more frequent and pronounced.  Is
this the starter going bad or it something else?  Just
what does the solenoid do anyway?  Thanks.

Joe Merone
CF18928
Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com