Re: Red-Line Driving

To: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Subject: Re: Red-Line Driving
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 18:55:55 -0400
Cc: " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Message text written by TeriAnn Wakeman
>The reason the TR four cylinder engine is redlined at 4800 is that there
is a nasty harmonic just a tad over 5000 RPM that tends to crack the
crank at the base of the flywheel mounting flange.  The next big harmonic
is approaching 6000 RPM.  With a little bottom end work you can have an
engine that handles both.
<

And the six cylinder TR's redline at 5500 RPM but the power peaks nearer
4100 RPM (early TR6).  This means yes you can run it up to 5500 but you are
actually loosing time.  This is standard tune.   And standard tune on a
four cylinder peaks out at less than 4800.  Fixing the harmonic does
nothing for top end performance.

Of course, adjusting the tuning with cams, manifolds, etc changes
everything.  Including the redline.  Since there are so many variables this
is not a question for the list but for the engine builder.

I, too, love blasting down lonely country roads at a vigorous pace but I
don't run first gear redline in suburban neighborhoods.  That akes me look
too much like I am suffering form a testosterone overdose.  One of the nice
things about a TR engine is the flexibility and these cars do pull well
from low RPM when sedate driving is called for.

Dave