Re: The perfect motor swap...

To: Matt Ritter <prdesign@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: The perfect motor swap...
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 06:01:02 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Matt Ritter wrote:

> > > How 'bout a 240/260/280 Z Datsun/Nissan engine?  Single OHC aluminum head
>st
> > > 6. Lots of donor cars available since they tend to rust out.
> >
> > And the early ones (at least) had dual Hitachi carbs that were a
> > direct knock-off of the SU.
>
> I think all the ohc engines will be to Tall for the engine bay. And
> I think the Chevy V8 with aluminum heads is about if not a little bit
> heavier (could be wrong). The Hitachi's are a little better than
> SU's (improved).  However if you where going to do this swap
> why not grab one of the turbo engines, add an intercooler and well
> then replace the rear end etc etc.
>
> However I feel to keep the torquey pushrod nature of the triumph you
> should take the 4 liter six out of a jeep :)

I find all this talk of possible swaps interesting, full of
possibilities, but, somehow, missing the point. If one is just
interested in raw power, that can be done, in all sorts of ways.

This weekend, a long-time friend of mine died of brain cancer, and I
spent Wednesday evening at his wake, talking to his other friends about
him, cars, engines, and a lot of other things. They, and he, were drag
racers and roundy-rounders, and discussions about cubic inches
predominated. 440 Mopars, etc.

How easy it is to get gut-wrenching performance from a small- or
big-block in a small car (apologies, Dan <smile>). But, what sort of
expertise is required to get 120 hp from an 1147cc Spit engine? Lots.
170-180 hp from a 2-liter old-technology Triumph six-cylinder? Lots.
Especially when speed parts for Triumphs are becoming less available
over time because the volume required is not sufficient for the profits
required these days....

Maybe a swap is the quick and easy and cheap way to more horsepower.
More power to those who are willing to undertake the time and effort and
expense to effect such. Honestly.

But, I suppose I am one of those who will, willingly, and with full
knowledge of the expense and time and trials involved, try to make a
silk purse from a sow's ear. <smile>

Now, to the subject at hand, one might look at a mid-`80s Toyota Supra
in-line six. The valve angle reduces the overall height of the engine to
a point where it just might fit a late `60s TR, early `70s TR6. Stock
horsepower for `82-83 versions was 160 hp, and with very little
tweaking, would easily reach 180-190 hp, without changing the physical
envelope of the engine. Moreover, the engines are available in plenty,
as opposed to more exotic and expensive BMW and Mercedes analogues, and
the corresponding 5-speed transmission is easily fitted.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.