RE: The perfect motor swap...

To: "autoX-Trumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Jeffrey Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Subject: RE: The perfect motor swap...
From: "F. Grant Robertson" <f.g.robertson@alexiongroup.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:34:12 -0400 > t e.net>
I don't know much about jag motor's but, sort-a kind-a in the family now
(through MG) would be BMW...  and a "baby-six" from a 325i or 525i would
possibly fit the bill (as well as being alot more plentiful than the jag
motor)..  not incredibly expensive, L6, overhead cam (or dual overhead,
can't remember..  possibly either depending on year/model).  Making one fit
might be hard but, another thought would be the "super-eta" motor from a
1988 528e..  ~145hp, _gobs_ of tourque and supremely quiet..  with a redline
around 5500..  the "i" motors would put you more towards honda'esque
redlines in the neighborhood of 6500-7200.  It would take a fair bit of
research and, some or all of these might be too long/wide or both..  Not to
mention the whole ECU and harness you'd need to splice in and, that's still
without any thought as to what trans and how to couple them and use the
bmw's completely hydraulic clutch.

Just a thought..  but I do tend to agree with you about V's..  not that I
don't like them but, the L6 in my 528 is one of the smoothest motors I've
ever had, and with the right exaust it can "blap blap blap" and "burbble
burbble" as much or as little as you want.  I've had many cars and many
different configurations and, they all have their merrits and
disadvantages..

If only I had unlimited funds and a little less sanity.

-G