The perfect motor swap... e.net>

Subject: The perfect motor swap... e.net>
From: Jeffrey Barteet <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:17:49 -0700 (PDT)
Saw you folks talking about motor swaps for TRs and had to throw in my
$0.02.

I don't like V motors.  I have always thought they were rough.  My
mother-in-law has a very nice Mercedes with a 5.6 liter V8, and it might
as well be a Chevy.  There's just that weird sub-sonic V rumble that comes
from that cylinder arrangement, be it a V-twin Harley, V-6, V-8, V-10,
etc. That staggered firing order and loping just doesn't appeal to me.

I realize that's EXACTLY what appeals to a lot of other people, but for
ultimate smoothness I've always thought straight sixes ruled.  ( In
theory, a straight-eight would be even better, but I have not had the
opportunity to get in an old Buick or Mercedes racer to get a sample )

I too have thought of replacing my healthy little four-banger in my TR4
with another motor. Not with a V-8, aluminum or otherwise, but with a
pretty little six, but I've never found a donor.

What *I* think would be perfect motor swap is something like a 3/4 scale
Jag motor. A 2.5-3.0 liter double-overhead cam ( no pushrods, please ) six
with an aluminum head that would fit in the confines of my TR4.  So it has
to be short. It would preferably be British, light, plentiful and cheap.

How is that for a tall order?  Like I said, I've never figured it out.

Is there such a thing?

-jeffrey