RE: Coming down

To: "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Coming down
From: Ed Quinn <equinn@airtreatment.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:52:58 -0700
Randall,
I agree in the area that you live.  The Long Beach Extension is the busiest
and the only one that is currently packed in the morning and afternoon.
This is great if you work due north from Long Beach, or somewhere on the 105
(the E-W connector).

Don't get me wrong, I am the greatest advocate of mass transit (having
derived income from (and traveled) MBTA (Boston), NYCTA (ny), MARTA (Atl),
WMATA (DC), and almost every other system), but when I moved here a year
ago, that was the attitude that seemed to prevail when I mentioned the idea
to locals.  The system would be fantastic to implement, however we have some
problems.  The original right of ways were sold many years ago (long sordid
story - by Standard Oil and Goodyear I believe) and you know how expensive
land is in SoCal.  We have that little seismic problem that makes tunneling
very expensive and dangerous.  Overhead rail may be the way to go, much like
a monorail system.  Although I do tunnel ventilation.. so not very
profitable personally, but on the whole a monorail has: very little land
use, concrete workers (lots o those around here) seismically can be built
without too much difficulty, electric, relatively quiet.

Anyway,
<soap box mode> off
<usually comical mode> on
Ed