Refit OD (not short)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Refit OD (not short)
From: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@home.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:40:08 -0400
Tonight I refit my gearbox and OD back together. I repaired my adapter plate a
few weeks ago due to warpage. The warped adapter was the cause for loosing so
much oil.    I assumed the oil loss was the brass plug.  I surfaced the plug,
machined a nylon gasket even made a tool to tighten the plug.  All this effort
was in vane for the real problem was the adapter plate. I reassembled the unit
using Hylomar sealer instead of the Permatex aviation gasket sealer Which I
used the first time. The aviation gasket sealer may have worked well since I
now have a functional plate, but as a result of all the successful commits
that have been posted as result of using the Hylomar, I decided to follow
success.
Now  for my test:  I decided several week ago I was going to take every effort
possible to prevent having to gut my interior and pull this gearbox again.
This time I built a bench test set up. I  Mounted the gearbox to an engine
stand. Mounted a pulley to the rear flange of the OD. On the base of the
engine stand I mounted an electrical motor (1725 rpm's) with a pulley.
Installed a V belt and  I can now spin my gearbox on demand.   I machined from
brass an adapter to adapt a pressure gauge to the valve body.  That's the set
up now here's the results.
With the motor spinning the gearbox  my gauge measured between 350-400 lbs.
With out the OD  engaged.  With the OD engaged the pressure would drop to
about 200lbs and immediately climb back to the previous pressure.
I purchased a "yellow Jacket" 0-500 lb flutterless gauge for about $10. I
would recommend that you purchase an oil filled gauge instead. It becomes
difficult to read as the pump actuates.  I'm unsure if the pressure should
remain when the gearbox comes to a stop. The pressure slowly drops to about
200lbs then rapidly fall off to 0 lbs.  I allowed the gearbox to spin for
about 1 hour during that time I would actuate the OD in and out. I pleased
that the unit seems to work flawlessly so far.(knock on wood). I'm very
pleased that I currently have no leaks, even under pressure. BTW I following
the masses and I have change to valvoline 50weight racing oil. I previously
had Mobile 1.  Tomorrow I will set the solenoid and its lever.

thanks
Ronnie Babbitt
an "O" with no leak.