RE: 1959 TR-3A Questions

To: "Augustine, Richard S. (LNG-SHEP)" <Richard.Augustine@LexisNexis.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 1959 TR-3A Questions
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:32:58 -0700 s -nexis.com>
Augustine, Richard S. wrote :
> Speedo cable, naturally longer but did '3s use the 90 degree
> adapter?

Nope, just the longer cable.  AFAIK, cars that did use the 90 degree adapter
did not require a longer cable, only rerouting of the original cable.

On the TR3/A, the OD speedo cable runs through the slot in the side of the
trans tunnel, and through the handbrake boot before going through the floor
and making a wide, sweeping turn to come up next to the RH frame rail.

> This didn't come with one (did come with the vibration damper
> though).  The thicker flange obviously takes longer bolts.  Someone here
> mentioned the different sized throw-out bearing sleeves, but this has the
> same size one as the original tranny so it might have been swapped out
> previously.  I'm going to retain the original closed nose starter and
> flywheel.  Any other things I should be aware of in making this
> swap?

It's not the throw-out bearing sleeve, but the 'nosepiece' it rides on that
is different.  Earlier ones are longer, if you are keeping the original
clutch (B&B 3-finger style), I would suggest changing the nosepiece.  I've
heard the shorter one will work OK, but why take a chance ?

> Does
> just chaning from non-OD to OD necesitate a change in the speedo gearing?

No, but if your trans came out of something besides a TR4/A, the gearing may
be wrong.  All TRs up to (roughly) 75 TR6 use the same drive ratio,
regardless of OD (the speedo drive is after the OD, so it doesn't 'care') or
rear axle ratio, tire size, etc.  But, the same basic gearbox was used in
lots of other cars, which didn't necessarily use the same drive gear.

> Air filter finish/color, my air filters were at one time painted silver,
> same color as the oil filler cap, no sign of black, there is the
> outline of
> a correct size decal remaining on one of them.  All the pictures
> I have seen
> and the TRA judging manual states that they should be black.  Anyone ever
> seen original silver ones, or are mine aftermarket replacements
> and someone
> just glued a Bazooka bubble gum cartoon to the center of one?

I have some that are silver, no sign of black.  However, there are traces of
silver paint in the wire mesh, leading me to believe that they were
stripped, repainted and relabeled sometime in the past.  The decals at least
used to be available from TRF, Moss, et al.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO