Re: Guess the model

To: <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Guess the model
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 23:55:19 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Randall Young wrote:

Well, I've learned something from all this.  I always thought Standard
only supplied the engines for Ferguson tractors, but after careful
re-reading I see that they actually built them as well, even before
putting in the Vanguard engine.

At one point, Standard was producing somewhere in excess of 1000
tractors a week and this continued for a number of years.
And if you're going to Breckenridge this
year Randall, Mike Porter will be showing part of the amateur video
I'm currently shooting on the company's history. Spent quite some time
at the Banner Lane plant where the Fergie was made. This plant that
was built and owned by Standard for its own use as a wartime Shadow
factory to make aircraft and aero engines. Reason for the visit is
that while the factory isn't identical to the former main plant that
is now demolished, it had many architectural similarities and is now
what we call an 'listed building' that has to be preserved.
While at that location, I also photographed the bit of road where Ken
Richardson and Sir John Black had a violent 'coming together' in a
Swallow Doretti  in which all three parties got rather bent.
As far Jim Wallace's acquisition, I look forward to reading his posts
on this list. IMHO his Fergie was a product of the same company, used
what was effectively the TR and Vanguard engine, so it's credentials
are justified. No doubt there may be variable views?

Jonmac