Re: TR3a handbrake

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3a handbrake
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:08:08 -0400 (EDT)
Suzie wrote:

> Bill Wrote:
> >
> > Early Spitfires, including possibly the earliest MkIIIs had a tunnel
> mounted
> > fly-off handbrake of this type. There were only 2 components which
> differed
> > - the Knob/Rod assembly and the pawl, which means it would be an easy
job
> > install the fly-off type on any Spitfire or Herald. Just a thought.....
> > Cheers,
> > Bill.
> >
> I can confirm that Baby blue (FD16410), a 1968 Mk III did have the fly-off
> handbrake - until *Bodgitt & Scarper* got their hands on it and converted
it
> for me during her rebuild - thank you? I don't think so!
>
> I'm now on the lookout for the parts to convert it back, if anyone can
help,
> I've gathered they're not the most common of items to find these days.
>
> Suzie

Suzie,
The "Fly Off" hand brakes were only fitted to the Mk3 model up to Commission
number FD16482.  So if
yours is made it just under the wire.  Afterwards,
the "Fly On" type was fitted through the end of Spitfire production.  I
might have some parts left
over from Huxley or the current parts car if you
can't find them locally.

Joe