Re: TR4 or TR4A?

To: PeterSchop@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, vtr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 or TR4A?
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:36:05 EST
Peter, see my answers below in your message.  Thanks to all who answered him
already.  Good advice from all.

In a message dated 15-Mar-01 15:21:27 Eastern Standard Time,
PeterSchop@aol.com writes:

> Last week I purchased what I was told is a 1964 TR4A. From what I understand
> from reading Bill Piggott's book, "The Original Triumph", the first TR4A
> was
> not made until January of '65.  I will not get the title to the car for
> about

Correct.  1st TR4A was built in Jan '65.  Commission number was CTC 50001 the
second "C" stands for IRS.  The TR4 A has a completely different frame than
the TR4 to accommodate IRS. The 4A frame is shaped like an "A" and a bell put
together. The "A" shape is in the rear.  The TR4 frame side rails are
straight from the front to the rear with an "X" cross member about halfway
back.

> After bringing the car home, I found that there was no VIN tag on the
> firewall. Only the body tag. The car had an electrical fire in the engine
> compartment and the VIN plate was destroyed. I checked the body number and
> found that it is 24422CT which means the car had to be made in '63. I then
> checked the engine number and found that to be CT58007E. That would be from
> '65 TR4A but it has SU carbs, not Strombergs. I then found the number
> 301603

Body number is probably a '63.  (My '64 TR4 commission number is CT33118L and
the body number is 33172CT.)

Your engine number is from a TR4A, but someone could have replaced the
engine.  The TR4 and TR4A engines are the same.

Diff. number is stamped on the top of the flange and should have a CT as part
of it.  I have the parts manual and the number you have is not listed.

TR4's had SU carbs from CT 1E to CT16799E, then ZS's from CT 16800E to CT
16899E then SU's again CT16900E to CT 21470E, then ZS's from CT21471E until
the last TR4 (comm number) CT40304.  The TR4A had ZS's From the first one
(comm number) CTC 50001 until (comm # )CT(C)62191, then they went back to
SU's.

> My question is, is there any other place on the car that I can find the
> VIN?

No and no.  The STC is a matter of some controversy.  My research shows that
it was probably placed on some cars in some states to show year of build when
the car was sold in a later year as a new car.

But the body number and the commission number were not the same anyway.  (See
my info above.)

> Other clues as to what I have, the hand brake and seats are TR4 but it has a
> wood dash. There are three taillight lenses. Two have 61 on them and one
> has

TR4 had the handbrake in the on the passenger's side in the left of the foot
well.  TR4A had it on the center transmission cover.  In Spring of '64 wood
dashes became standard for US destined cars.  I was surprised when my car
rolled out into the factory showroom with a wood dash.  Taillight lenses were
changed from a circular pattern to a vertical pattern, probably in '65 or '66.

One other item, do you have side markers on the outside of front fenders?
TR4's did not, TR4A's did.

If I can be of further help, please ask.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner/factory pickup)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant.