Re: TR4 or TR4A?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 or TR4A?
From: "Triumph Driver" <triumph_driver@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:30:17 -0800 FILETIME=[82E7F9A0:01C0AD9F]
Cc: PeterSchop@aol.com
OK, as several have already said, there is no such critter as a 1964 TR4A.
So lets try and narrow it down a bit.

The commissioning number plate is missing/destroyed.  And no, there is no
other place on the car to get the correct VIN / commissioning number.  But
the body number (small thin rectangular plate, right side firewall over the
passengers foot well, nothing but the 24422CT number on it, correct?)
indicates a mid / late 1963 number I think.  This would fit with it being
titled as a 1964 as they were often titled as the year they sold, not when
they were made.

The motor fits in the range of a 1965 TR4A block.  And as someone has
pointed out, it is very easy to drop a later engine in an early car and
putting all the early externals on it.  One of my 1962s has a 1966 engine in
it, but everything but the basic motor is 1962.

That dif number does not sound right.  I think it is a part number.  The
correct number is found on the top rear of the dif housing, above the cover
plate, and has the letters CT in front of it.  By the way, there should also
be a number on the tranny on the left side (drivers) above the clutch shaft
boss.  But it is possible that if the engine is swapped, so may be the
tranny.

There is also a chassis number, but I am not sure were that one is, I will
check when I get home this evening.  It may be on the cross piece under the
front of the engine, or maybe on the chassis rail to either side of the
engine.

Your VIN may indeed be STC 63 24422 L now.  I assume by this number you are
in California.  They (DMV or maybe CHP) may build this number for the car
using the 24422 CT body number and adding the rest, STC for Supplemental
Title Certificate, 63 for the year, and the number from the body tag.  An
STC is often built or assigned when the original VIN plate is in question.
But often there is another number also associated with it, often a 5 to 9
digit serial number.  This is normally found as an added plate in the
drivers side door jamb with just this serial number on it.

What is the car really?  I think you can make that call yourself, and treat
it as whatever you want it to be, assuming it is a solid axle car.  But I
myself would go by the body number, and call it a 1963 TR4.

Darrell, in the High Desert of California

62  TR-4  CT 5368 LO  (daily driver)
62  TR-4  CT 10440 L
62  TR-4  CT 13108 L  (long term project)
65  Spit  FC 51603 L
67  Spit  FD 2890 L   (daughters car)
77  Spit  FM 62888 UC  (other daily driver)
79  Spit  FM 98233 UC  (wifes car)