Re: @#$!&*$*!!! tranny circlip

To: dncullig@us.ibm.com, greenman62@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: @#$!&*$*!!! tranny circlip
From: SJagGo@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 17:06:58 EST
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Dennis wrote:"I had two (2!) rebuilds done on a J-type OD transmission for
my '76 TR6.  Shortly after both rebuilds, there were major fail-
ures (broken top-hat gears, ruined synchros, etc.)  The other
culprit - a completely pulverized circlip.  It was (apparently)
jammed on w/o the proper tool, and I believe this was the im-
petus for the eventual transmission failure (circlip pops out
and gets pulverized, gears start moving on shaft, thrust wash-
ers get chewed up, transmission fails!).
   I'd suggest getting the tool and doing it right..."

The problem with most circlip failures is the fact that were not new when
installed.  A pipe with the correct inside diameter is no different from the
special tool, except for the fact if you can find the special tool, it'll
cost big bucks.  If you save enough big bucks you can buy an E-type or a Stag.

Bill B (probably rebuilt 10 trannys-never lost a new circlip yet)