Spring Compressor

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spring Compressor
From: "Kim and Kelly Alford" <alfords@seanet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 07:06:50 -0800
Hello All,
I'm in the process of rebuilding the suspension on my 71 TR6.  I purchased
the spring compressor from VB, but there were no instructions as to it's
use.  I assume that one removes the shock, replacing it with the threaded
rod, aluminum plate at the opening of the bottom A arm.  Assuming the
aforementioned is true I had trouble with the assembly constantly shifting
around on the lower A arm while I was trying to tighten the nut at the
bottom.  The other problem was the length of the rod was right against the
garage floor, so it was difficult to work with. I also didn't understand the
purpose of the bushing, or the castleated nut with lynch pin. Eventually, I
got tired of fooling around with it and used a floor jack to support the
lower A arm while breaking the ball joint loose, then lowered the A arm and
removed the spring.  The new springs have an additional coil from the stock
ones and will require the compressor for reassembly.  Are any of you aware
of directions for proper use of this tool?

Thanks,
Kelly Alford
71TR6
Shoreline, WA.