Re: Electric Fan

To: spitlist@gte.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric Fan
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:07:25 EST
In a message dated 1/29/2001 1:20:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
spitlist@gte.net writes:

> Would someone please tell me how an electric fan pulls power away from the
> engine???
>
> Sure it requires power to run, but that alternator is running all the time
> anyway.  The electricity is coming from the battery and
> being replenished by the alternator.  The only effect that running an
> electric fan has on the engine (as far as I can see) is that a

.

Joe,

Actually, that's not true. As long as your car's electrical drain doesn't
exceed the capacity of the alternator/generator, NONE of the power comes from
the battery. The alt/gen supplies 100 % of the power, plus a little extra to
recharge the battery. See<<http://members.aol.com/danmas2/ammeters.htm>> for
more details. Since all of the power is being supplied by the alt/gen, the
engine must drive them, so all of the power required - plus losses - is
supplied by the engine.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
http://members.aol.com/danmas/
MGBV8 Newsletter:
http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm