Re: New TR4A Generator from Moss

To: Rich Scotti <Rich@Scotti.com>
Subject: Re: New TR4A Generator from Moss
From: Dianne and Peter Fullam <dfullam@albany.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:05:47 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I also bought a Moss generator after I heard that they were selling new ones for
$75. I didn't think to ask who in the western world can make new generators for
only $75. Answer: nobody. Mine also had rust under the paint on the cooling fan,
as well as some kind of powdery oxide on the long screws and brush holders. The
end frames are good copies of Lucas frames, but are cast iron instead of
aluminum. The mounting hole on the front frame was tapped undersize, and the
armature was not centered between the stator coils. Apart from Moss's catalog
no. on the box, there was no name or part number or identification of any kind
on the generator. I called Moss and asked where do these come from, really.
"Well, from a vendor in the East..." From the far east? Like maybe China?

But does it generate? Well, yes it does. The Lucas cooling fan and pulley both
fit, and the generator fits right up on the mounting bracket. The spade
terminals are the right size and the felt wick thing for oiling the rear bushing
is better than the Lucas one. Not a lot of miles on it yet, but so far so good.

Cheers,
Pete Fullam
63 TR4 CT19207L