Black goop in wheel wells

To: list messages <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Black goop in wheel wells
From: LT <llst@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:04:17 -0800
I have stripped the rust proofing off my Spitfire frame using a putty
knife on the loose stuff and applying a solvent to the tougher stuff.
Heat definitely helps, as the parts in the sun came off easier than the
parts in the shade. Using a heat gun for stripping paint would work
well. Strong solvents such as lacquer thinner are better than varsol or
diesel fuel. After 40 hours and a few cases of beer I ended up getting
the rest of it sandblasted for 40 bucks. There are areas that you just
can't get into to do a decent job.

Larry Ternowski
Surrey BC

Rob Christopher <robc@cisco.com>

Hi all,
I'd like to hear suggestions on how those who have BTDT have removed the

undercoating from the various metal surfaces on a TR6.  I only have the
gas tank and dash to remove on CF28217UO before pulling the body and
getting it dipped/blasted.  The local bodywork guru dropped by my house
last night to check out the job, and he says he'd like to see the
undercoat removed and as much paint as possible before he takes
delivery.

It's around freezing here in Ottawa right now, so the stuff is really
brittle, but it's also really cold on the fingers to be working in the
garage.

So is the best method a stout putty knife/cold chisel and a hammer?
Will chemically stripping the paint also take care of the undercoating?
Is sand blasting aggresive enough to remove this gunk?

Rob Christopher
74.5 TR6  CF28217UO  (taking the plunge into frame off resto land......)

Ottawa, ON