RE: Black goop in wheel wells

To: "Rob Christopher" <robc@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: Black goop in wheel wells
From: "Eric Conrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:35:47 -0700
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Been there, done that!

My method was to use a heat gun with two settings, hot and damn hot.  I
softened the undercoating, then scraped it off with a flexible, metal bladed
putty knife - I also rounded the corners of the knife to lower the
likelihood of damaging the metal underneath.  The wheel wells were time
consuming, but you cannot remove the undercoating by sand blasting.

Since I finished the job, I have heard that Eastwood has an aerosol product
that softens the stuff enough to get off with a putty knife.  I'm not sure
if it works, but it sounded neat.

Judging by where you are located, the heat gun might be a wonderful option,
as you can heat the coating and your fingers in the dead of winter.

Good luck.

Eric Conrad
'76 TR6 - body back on chassis, final sanding and painting the outside of
the car is next.  (The underside and engine bay are now painted.)