Washers under conrod bolts?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Washers under conrod bolts?
From: RTriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:33:41 -0600 5.0.4 |June 8, 2000) at 11/10/2000 09:34:59 AM
Cc: wallaces@superaje.com
>Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 21:33:01 -0500
>From: a Wallace <>
>I'm plugging away at my 3a engine rebuild, and keep getting delayed by
>minor parts shortages.
>So - when bolting the big ends on the conrods, do you really need those
>flat bend-the-tab-against-the-bolt-head washers? It seems like you rarely
>see those anymore - is blue loctite the modern replacement, he asks,
hopefully?
>I did think of lock washers but they seem to be too thick i.e. there'd be
>less thread engaged if I go that way.
>Thanks,
>Jim
>TS81417L

When I did my overhaul about 2 years ago, I was told by supplier (British
Parts NW) that the lock tabs were not needed, so used only locktite and
have had no problems after 10K or so miles.  I think the TR4A and up did
not use the tabs.  Would recommend inspecting bolts carefully for damage
and smooth threading into the rods, and use only the special hardened
bolts.  Be sure to keep the parts matched up!
Regards,
Richard T