Re: advice wanted about spitfire

Subject: Re: advice wanted about spitfire
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 00:17:09 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
sujit roy wrote:

> and an interested to find out what could
> be the, worse case, cost of getting a Spit through a smog.
> Is it worth considering a complete non-runner?

Sujit :

IMO, the only smog issue worth paying serious attention to is : Is
everything there, including the emissions sticker ?  Otherwise, unless
there is really something serious wrong with your engine (like broken
rings or burnt valves), IMO you should be able to pass smog fairly
easy.  $100 and a sympathetic inspector should be plenty.

Although my TR3 is thankfully exempt, I have several other vehicles with
old, tired engines, and it almost never takes more than a careful
tune-up to make them pass.

Randall
59 TR3A - flunked once because it was "too clean" !
80 Chevy Citation - 250,000 miles, still passes
89 Dodge Caravan - 130,000 miles, still passes
76 Dodge Motorhome - had to lean out power valve, because shop was
testing to wrong standard ! (mileage SMOH unknown)