Re: SS vs. cast iron expansion rate

To: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Subject: Re: SS vs. cast iron expansion rate
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 08:47:25 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Not being a metallurgist, I can't speak with any level of authority, but I will
venture this:

Since Cast iron is typically much thicker than stainless, it would stand to
reason that it will hold the heat longer than SS.  The
outside of a thinner tube would also become hot faster because there is less
metal to conduct the heat through.  Conversely, the
thinner tube would cool down and dissipate the heat to the outside faster.

Expansion should also track the heating up tendencies, in that if it heats up
faster, it ought to expand more.  THe thickness of cast
iron would surely not expand as much as a thinner metal like SS.

Now, with that said; I have my flame suit on.  So let the flames begin.

Joe (C)