SS vs. cast iron expansion rate

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>;, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: SS vs. cast iron expansion rate
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:41:43 -0400
Thanks to those of you who have answered. Logic, intuition, and science
all  agreed for once and the conclusion is that stainless steel does in
fact expand more than cast iron. This is what I was hoping for.
When I posted the question I forgot to mention the application; it's
regarding making up the tubes that the pushrods travel through, that are
mounted in the head, out of stainless. (There is a need to seal these
against oil leakage top and bottom and I was hoping any difference in
expansion rates would work in my favour.)
If I ever get my kid to make my web page I'll be sure to post a picture of
the beautiful freshly-painted-grey head with its custom made stainless
steel tubes. If I could just lay my hands on some Lodge plugs it would make
a really fine picture. Don't know how well the car would run; that's a
whole different story, but I have heard that great paint adds at least 5 mph.
Thanks again,
Jim