Robbins Wrong Fit TR4 Top?

To: triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Robbins Wrong Fit TR4 Top?
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 17:04:37 EDT
Brian,
'Center of snap' to 'center of snap' and following accurately across the 'bow
line' between those two points on my TR4 windshield capping I measured 43 and
1/2" across. Trying to be even more accurate the second time I measured 43
3/8". I don't think I could get 43 1/4" like you did.
F.Y.I. my snaps on the windsheild cap are located about 1/2 " from outside
edge of aluminum capping - but if you ignore the capping you'll see that the
flared seat of the snap is almost matched location-wise to the edge of the
steel framing behind.
If your brand new soft-top doesn't fit - it doesn't fit.
Reminds of that great British comedy show "Are You Being Served' where if the
awkward suit didn't fit the customer the salesman would say ..."don't
worry-the sleeves will ride up with wear..or don't worry-your arms will
lengthen with age"..!
I would look for a better fit with 1/8 " stretch. You'll appreciate it on
those cold days (when soft-tops are really used) as it will be hard to
stretch it even that much!
Good Luck - and please let me know results- I will be looking for a new
soft-top down the road..
Carl Sereda
'64 TR4 since '74 ..in ground up mode..
<<When and if it is convenient... would you mind making that
measurement along front top of the cap, the part that rolls a
bit, where the leading edge of the top sits... to see if you get
the same 43 1/4".  You need a flexible tape measure to do it and
lay the tape on the cap surface the same way as the top fabric
would lay.  TRF will take the top back no doubt... but I really
want one that fits and need to know if my car is normal or the
top is defective.  TRF seems to think it's me and recommends that
I go to a professional shop. I'm not put off by this
suggestion... a lot of folks would rather leave it a shop.  So...
I stopped in at the local auto interior shop that has helped me
with my interior this winter and he agrees that the top seems to
have been cut 1" short across the front.
Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L - Groton, MA>>