TR4 Seat Cushion Question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Seat Cushion Question
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 11:09:18 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers,

I have finished reupholstering my 62 TR4 seats with the TRF black
leather kit. The BMIHT certificate shows this car was made
shipped with leather seats. The kit is of the finest quality and
they really look wonderful.

These are the early TR4 round back seats... like... but not the
same as TR3As. I need some help from you guys... my old seat
cushions are 2 1/4 inches lower than the new ones.  Because the
old cushions were originally from a salvage source the springs
were very rusty and the stuffing smelled bad like old furniture
that gets wet.

I used all new spring sets which are higher and much stronger...
and new rubberized horsehair and cotton stuffing from TRF.  BTW..
Some of the part numbers still on the spring sets matched John
Skinner's part numbers.  The old cushion is 4 inches from the
bottom front edge of the seat frame to the white piping bead on
the front of the cushion.  The new set is 6 1/4 inches when
installed in the same passengers side seat frame.   When I took a
test drive... the seats are very comfortable, unlike the old
ones.... and I don't feel like I am sitting in a hole anymore...
but they seem high and bouncy.

Am I just imagining a problem here?  Should I compress the spring
set more to make them flatter? Can I ask some of you early TR4
guys to go out to garage and measure your seat cushion height?

TIA

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site