Re: IRS rear hum

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: IRS rear hum
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 01:24:51 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Robert

> Plus it's time for my semi-annual plea to ask folks that

"" don't have the tools or who have not done this operation""

to _please_ have someone that
> knows what they are doing (and have the right tools!!!!) do this job.

This comes back to the don't do it if you don't have experience, can't get
experience if you don't do it dilemma, more usually associated with finding
employment!
As one of those who looked at this job and thought shall I shan't I, I did
and am glad I did, I would add to your comment about the free play, DON'T
back the nuts up to increase the play, if you need more play you need a new
collapsible spacer too. I would recommend aiming for the 0.002" play as a
maximum / minimum value and checking it after a couple of hundred miles as
they will almost certainly settle considerably, I have done four of these
shafts now and all four have settled.

Graham.