Re: IRS rear hum

To: tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us
Subject: Re: IRS rear hum
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:47:11 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On 28 March, 2000, Tony wrote:

> Having done a complete rebuild -- I can confirm that the "outside" nut does
> nothing other than hold the flange to the tapered shaft - and given how
> hard it is to get them apart, it probably could be done up finger
> tight!  (but please don't do so - Murphy lurks everywhere).

Lurking months behind (as usual), I feel I have to respond to this one.

The big nut on TR6 hubs sets the bearing pre-load on the inner wheel
bearing, get this baby wrong, and you'll wreck the hub and/or the axle, as
a loose inner bearing can "spin" on the axle stub. Believe me - you don't
want to do this. It'll "cut" into the axle stub in no time and wreck that
part (best case, if you wanna call it best case) or worse - allow the
bearing to "spin" in the hub and wreck that part too.

Note: THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T WANT TO DRIVE A TR6 WITH A SLOOPY HUB VERY FAR!

Follow the manual recommendation and torque the big nut that holds the hub
flange to the axle stub to spec (with a new crush collar every time!!!) to
90 to 110 ft/lb, then use the big nuts on the back side to adjust the
end-float to .002 - .005 total end-float.

Plus it's time for my semi-annual plea to ask folks that don't have the
tools or who have not done this operation to _please_ have someone that
knows what they are doing (and have the right tools!!!!) do this job.

Believe me, $175 or whatever per hub is a lot cheaper than wrapping your
TR6 around a pole when the rear hub breaks during "spirited" driving.

Also, I'll point out that the cheapest hub rebuild that I have done cost
over $80 just for the parts and then a couple hours of my time to do the
job. That starts to make $175 look relatively inexpensive.

No offense meant, Tony - but you need to be careful about describing this
job. It is not "easy" by any means, and it is entirely possible to ruin one
or more of the parts in the process. We need to keep this in mind if we
want to keep driving these cars.

regards,
rml
TR6 guy.

Bob Lang      | TR 6 Guy           | Editor: New England Triumphs
Phone:        | 617-253-7438 (days)| 781-438-2568 (eves)
Occupation:   | ComputerZ          | TR fixer-Upper