Re: Steering Wheel Reconditioning

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Reconditioning
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:48:35 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
Randall Young said:

>I'm afraid I can't help you with what's 'original', especially since I
>understand the dealers had some latitude to add things like leather
covers.
>Which brings me to my point : what you may be looking at is a cover that
was
>added later.  I have a leather cover on my TR3 that, if I didn't _know_
>otherwise, I would think was molded on with fake stitching.  Over the
years,
>the stitching (which in my case is actually vinyl) has 'merged' with the
>leather.

Here's something I found:

_Triumph TR6_ by William Kennedy, (specs on pg. 143):
"1969 Model: leather rim, black spokes, 15" diameter."
"1970-73: leather rim, anodised slotted spokes, 15" diameter."
"1973 on: leather rim, anodised slotted spokes, 14.5" diameter."

And on page 38, referring to the TR6 model change:  "The rim and horn
centre continued to be padded and leather-wrapped."

Looks like I'll have to reverse myself (again) and assume that the stock
TR6 wheel does, in fact, have a leather rim.

--Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com