Re: Amp ratings

To: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Subject: Re: Amp ratings
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:21:49 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 rtriplett@bjservices.com wrote:

> To expand on what Randall said, amp ratings *should* be rated as true RMS
>(root
> means square), or average power.  Most home amps are now rated rms power,
> however many auto amplifier mfgs still rate their systems at "peak power"
> levels, which gives a much higher rating, but is not indicative of the real

Case in point: those little 'multimedia' speakesr that you can get from
the computer store.  In the quest for higher numbers, I've noticed that
sometimes they pull the impedance down to roughly 2 ohms or less!  Of
course you're going to get 120 watts then!

(120W @ 2 Ohm = 30W at 8 Ohm)

For my TR4 I used the DPO-installed 80 watt amp (Can't remember the brand
but it's "hand built in America", so chances are it's a true 80 watts),
and a pair of 4 ohm 45W nominal speakers.

One of the above speakers blew last year (it got wet, I think), but I had
a spare of-similar-ilk.  The DPO had a set of JBL 6.5" in there but they
had sat for six years before I got the car.  Someday I'll clean them up
and see how they sound.

In the front I found a set of 'weatherproof' Memorex bookshelf speakers,
which give good bass response and can be hidden in the foot well.  Also,
they're nicely built, and can take a bit of moisture.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm