Re: Bio's, was goofing off at work

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bio's, was goofing off at work
From: "scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 20:47:22 -1000 (HST)

OK.  Here's mine.  Scott Smart, 45.  I retired from the US Navy
a couple years ago as a Commander.  My wife is still active
duty, hence we are in Hawai'i, but the TR-6 is in Maryland :(
A got on the list about a year ago, and it really has my appetite
up to get back to the east and get the TR on the road.

I bought my 1973 6 as the second owner in 76 for $3,600 from an
outfit called "Ribbs Auto Sales -- E-3 and up financed!"
If you've ever been in a military town you know what that
means.

The 6 is my only Triumph, although my wife claims I have
purchased a second one, one part at a time.  She can't complain
though, because the Triumph was BM -- Before Mary.  I did
pay her the extreme complement while we were dating (and I
was doing an overhaul) 'cause I bolted in the passenger seat
for her!  I have driven
my Triumph cross-country a few times, and I had it in Hawai'i
when we were stationed here in the 80's (24/7 top down
weather).  But I also have memories of brushing snow
off the seat in Newport RI when my not-so-good top
wouldn't snap down any more.

My worst experience was when I was at Great Lakes base
north of Chicago, and seeing a girl in rural Wisconsin.  This is
when I learned about clutch fork pins.  The nearest B-L dealer
was in Madison, and couldn't get parts, but fortunately her Dad was
a machinist at an auto parts place and he cut me a replacement
that lasted quite a while.  (In yet another tranny problem day I
had driven down to my folks in New Orleans when the throwout
bearing crapped out and I had to fly back to my ship and leave
the car whilst my Dad got it going.  We replaced the makeshift pin
which had a crack but still did its job.

Other than that my "other car" is a 24 Ford T which is at my Dads.
He's a Ford guy with several Mustangs, Fairlanes, and is currently
working on a Comet.  He had a Nash? American? which was
supposedly designed or built by MG?  Can't say I thought much
of that car.  It had strange features like the door was symmetrical so
it could be used on either side.

Take care and good motoring,

scott s.