TR4 engine rebuild

To: Johntr6@aol.com
Subject: TR4 engine rebuild
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:58:28 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I'm the guy what started the 4vs6 string a month ago. I'm looking to do a
engine rebuild this winter - and who knows what else - and want to start with
the 87mm pistons. British Parts NW is offering a kit in the VTR magazine for
$410 versus the $590 or so in Moss, TRF etc. Man on the phone at BPNW says
piston heads are german (Mass?) and the rest is English, with three rings,
and more advanced than the Hepolites recommended years ago inn the TR4 Comp
Prep manual. Does anyone have experience with these? I've not bought before
from BPNW, but I read that many listers use them regularly.
Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll be back with much more before this is done.
I rebuilt my TR3 w/4A engine about 4 months ago using pistons and rings,
bearings, etc. from BPNW and can say they are very high quality parts, but as I
recall the rings are American made and same with pistons. The rings must be
"gapped" for the liner.  It's simple using a dremel tool with a sanding disc and
lots of patience.  The neat thing with these rings is they can be gapped exactly
for each liner/piston.  I only bought the pistons and had my old liners bored.
Just find a GOOD machine shop, as boring liners without ovalling them is not
easy.  Good luck.
Richard