Re: Question on body work

To: bdstinocher@sewsus.com
Subject: Re: Question on body work
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:39:22 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/11/99 10:23:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bdstinocher@sewsus.com writes:

<< I am well into getting my car ready to paint. Long story short, I was told
 to get a compressor and dual action sander to finish up the body work. If I
 get the compressor, I'm going to paint the darn thing myself. First off
 though, what is the difference between a rotary sander and a DA sander?
 Harbor Freight sells DA sanders, but they are round like a rotary. Can
 someone explain? Are they really better than a rotary and then hand sanding?

 Thanks. >>

Bryan
DA sanders work with random orbit motion - rotary plus back and forth. Many
of these use a lot of air. You probably will need a 5 hp compressor to run
one continuously. They work well for large flat areas, and can remove a lot
of surface depending on the grit paper used. Rotary sanders are best left for
grinding metal - not so much for bodywork. There will invariably be some
spots where you must do by hand, and final sanding should be completely by
hand.
Bottom line is to use what ever works for you. Bodywork is a bit more of an
artform than "turning wrenches". At least to me.
Happy spraying.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B