Re: Question on body work

To: "Stinocher, Bryan D." <bdstinocher@sewsus.com>
Subject: Re: Question on body work
From: Ernest Husmann <chusmann@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:18:22 -0500
Cc: "'TRIUMPH MAIL'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
A DA sander may look like a rotary sander, but while the rotary move in a
circular motion around a single axis, the DA moves in a circular motion on two
different axis thereby limiting sand scratches.  You still need to watch what
grit paper you use.  Ask your local automotive paint supply store for
suggestions, they will be able to walk you through the various steps and ensure
that your car is ready for sanding before you sand wax, grease, silicon and
other debris into the existing paint and destroy a good paint job.

Are DA's better than hand sanding.  If you use a sanding block and really know
what you are doing, a hand sanded car is just as good or even better than a DA
sanding job.  The advantage to a DA is that you can cover more area quicker with
less physical strain.

Typically, I will start with a DA and then completely hand sand the car with a
500 grit wet paper for a final prep.

As far as painting the car yourself, I hope you have done this before or can
afford to do allot of rework.

Ernest Husmann