Re: Painting a new TR6 body shell

To: Harrymague@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Painting a new TR6 body shell
From: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (Gerhard Wiederholl)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:16:59 +0200
I have some experience in painting a complete TR 6 body after restoration and
can recommend the following:

Painting doors, hood, wings etc. off the shell is best, because otherwise it
would be hard or impossible to paint all the edges, mounting points and inner
areas.

Use some soft, soft staying, paintable, seam sealer.

After mounting of all the painted parts its time to install the engine with
gearbox, suspension etc.(bonnet comes after engine of course)

After this it will  be neccesary to repaint some small, scratched areas with an
air brush. At this time the painter will paint the visible surfaces of the
sealing compound, - or a complete layer of paint will be sprayed on the body
now including sealed areas.

After this its a good opportunity for the last paint layers with clear paint
which protects the colour paint and gives a long lasting super high gloss
finish.

After all is done ask the painter what kind of wax he recommends for the paint
on your car. You can spoil a lot with a wrong product and a professional
painter
knows the best products. BTW the best products have usually zero.zero silicon
ingredients.

I hope this helps

Gerhard Wiederholl

CC 31998 LO