Re: Painting a new TR6 body shell

To: Harrymague@aol.com
Subject: Re: Painting a new TR6 body shell
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 06:31:30 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Harry,
        The cars were painted body color with fenders attached at the factory.
Seems like applying a finish coat to the insides of the fenders might
afford more protection from rust and corrosion. The fenders should be
sealed with seam sealer, whether painted body color or left in primer.
The best method would be to paint both sides of the fenders body color,
attach them and apply a finish coat. This would afford the best
protection and still maintain the appearance of originality.
        A word of caution; don't let the shop fill the seam between body and
fenders at the surface. It looks better when just painted, but the TR6
frame and body flex so much that cracks soon appear along those freshly
sealed and painted seams. Then your salty tear drops fall into the
cracks and could easily become a source of rust.
Got that T shirt.
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO