Re: Name that goo.

To: frank <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Subject: Re: Name that goo.
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 19:31:53 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, frank wrote:

> While topping up the oil in my TR6's engine this morning I noticed a
> pink (!) coloured goo/sludge on the underside of the oil filler cap, along
> with normal (black) engine oil. Oil on the dipstick, and the stuff still
> pooled on the top of the head are both normal looking, though. Anyone
> have any idea what the hell that stuff was (I cleaned it off)? I know that

What color is your coolant?  I know that some stuff has a reddish tinge.

It's probably something that is floating around your crankcase in a vapor
form that condensed onto the filler cap.  Oil, gas additives perhaps?
Detergents?

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm