Re: '74 TR 6 reverse problem

To: "John Summers" <trumpet@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: '74 TR 6 reverse problem
From: "Ian Frearson" <frearji@montevallo.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 08:26:55 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
3rd gear sounds like a problem with the synchro--some people have responded
mentioning clutch adjustment, but I'm not sure (perhaps in my ignorance) how
this would selectively affect certain gears. My first car, a 1973 MG Midget,
had a factory-rebuilt transmission, new clutch, slave cyl., and master
cyl--and I also experienced the "click/clunk" when shifting into reverse.
The Midget clutch had no adjustments of any kind. I recall that it could be
avoided by shifting into 1st, then reverse. I don't know if that works on
other cars, but my assumption was that it had something to do with reverse
and 1st working off the same gear.

Ian Frearson
1980 Spitfire