Re: Spitfire Transmission Rebuild: Need Advice!

To: frearji@montevallo.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Transmission Rebuild: Need Advice!
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:22:15 EDT
In a message dated 99-07-19 04:27:37 EDT, frearji@montevallo.edu writes:

<< - will I be able to pull this off? I'm not exactly a mechanical dunce, but
 I've never rebuilt a transmission before...

 - other than the factory manual, are there any other "must haves"?

 - what tools will be required? Anything special?

Ian,

Speaking from recent experience with my '70 Spitfire.....which was a
transmission swap not a rebuild.....most of the grunt work i.e., getting the
trans out for inspection and rebuild, won't be difficult just tedious -
providing you can find an assistant and you have good jack stands or, even
better, a lift!  My guess is that the trans on your '80 Spit will come out
easier through the passenger compartment as it does on my '70 so that's the
direction you want to take.  If you get real lucky, you may be able to move
the driveshaft away enough for the tailshaft to clear it without dropping the
shaft....don't know for the '80.

Once out, I know the trans opens up easily to reveal the "innards" and in my
mind, it didn't look like a rebuild would be all that hard to do....but I was
swapping not building.  So, as far as the next steps toward a rebuild go,
you'll have to listen to someone who's been through it.

Good luck,

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)
'70 Spit MkIII  FDU78512L (Decent Driver)