Re: tool

To: Fred Thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: tool
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:04:59 -0700
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Fred :

Several thoughts, not in any order, worth everything they cost <g> :

1) Use a 1/8" brass pipe nipple, about 4-6" long instead of a chisel.
It's cheap, and soft enough to not mar the plug, much <g> (cut off the
threads, to increase area in contact with plug)

2) Get a piece of flat iron about 2' long, drill & tap 10-32 holes on
2.69" centers, insert 10-32 screws, use threaded portion to engage slots
in plug.

3) My local discount auto parts store sells probably the same tool as
NAPA, for about 1/2 the price.  Perhaps you can mail order from one of
the on-line stores.

4) Find a used, preferably damaged (cheap) 2 1/2" socket.  Grind fingers
to engage the slots. (Thanks to Brian Schlorff for this suggestion)  I
think I might have seen these at Harbor Freight, or possibly a shop that
works on trucks and/or 4x4s would have a damaged one.  The 2 9/16" axle
nut socket for my Dodge motorhome would work too.

5) Buy a short length of 2 1/2" galvanized pipe (unthreaded, or cut off
threads).  Grind (or cut with hacksaw) fingers as above, cross drill for
1/2" rod to serve as handle.

Hope one of these is useful
Randall
59 TR3A "daily driver wanna be"