Re: electical puzzlement - GT-6

To: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Subject: Re: electical puzzlement - GT-6
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 09:38:13 -0700
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Aribert :

My guess would be that your 10 amp fuse or holder developed some
corrosion, with attendant high resistance, and excessive heat
generated.  This tends to be a vicious circle, as the heat encourages
the corrosion, which encourages the heat, etc. until total failure.
High underhood temps may have contributed to the original corrosion, but
not necessarily.  Since heat is related to power, which is the product
of voltage and current, a bad connection at 10 amps can easily generate
far more heat than a good connection at 35 amps.

I've found that a thin coat of silicone grease (the kind sold in
electronics shops as 'dielectric grease' will do) helps greatly in
preventing corrosion in electrical contacts, especially ones where the
tin plate has worn through. Unfortunately, it attracts dirt like mad.
There are also products made specifically for this purpose, but I
haven't tried any yet.

Consider it your latest sacrifice to Prince Lucas !

Randall