Re: TR7 sunroof "soft" top

To: Peggy Bohler <pbohler@wenet.net>
Subject: Re: TR7 sunroof "soft" top
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 17:48:11 +0200
Cc: 1-Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 1-TR8-list <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Hi Peggy,
You wrote:
> Does anyone else have a TR7 with a sunroof and "soft" top?

Lots of TR7s had them. They came in three different types from
the three subcontractors making them: Weathershield, Edrose
and Tudor Webasto. All differ in details but the philosophy is
the same for all of them. Yours is most likely a Weathershield.

I've got a Tudor Webasto type fitted to my WV JettaII '86.
On a non convertible car they're a great enhancement.

> The top folds back like an accordion to open -- and mine needs
> repaired or replaced (the staves are sticking out on one side)

Classic problem. The only solution is to have the top cover textile
swapped for a new one. It's a lot of work - but I've done it
twice myself on my Jetta [with the aid of a fitting instruction
on video...] during the 13 years I've got it...
Learned from previous mistakes from the first time and then did
it the correct way the second time; Bought the top cover in top
of the line quality Sonnenland "Mohair" material instead of the
original vinyl convertible material. Now it will last. But it
cost about three times as much...

> The paint right now is pretty crummy, but when I get it repainted
> I don't want the metal staves scratching a groove in the paint.

If properly tightened and aligned it will not scratch the roof,
not even with the top cover penetrated at the seams. I take it
for granted that's where it is worn...

> We haven't been able to find replacement tops in any of the TR7
> catalogs we have. Thank you for your help,
> Peggy
> 1978 TR7

They're on pages 141 - 143 in the Rimmer TR7/TR8 Catalogue...
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk  They say they can supply some of
the components at least.
Best Regards
/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,