Re: Help: Lower Trunnions and springs TR3B

To: Andy <amdixon@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Help: Lower Trunnions and springs TR3B
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 16:11:39 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Andy wrote:

> Just started putting the front suspension back together on the 3 and now
> that I've loosened all the old grease (yes, I know it should be oil but the PO
> or his mechanic didn't) I've found considerable play in the trunnion on the
> right hand side. I'll assume that the driver's side is just as bad.
> In your experiences is it normally just the trunnion that wears or both the
> trunnion and the vertical link?
>
> On springs. Based on the comm # info in the TRF catalog, I ordered the long
> springs. On disassembly I find I have the short springs with the alloy
> spacer. Any significant difference, or should I return them for the shorter
> springs?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy D.

Hi Andy,

Don't blame the previous owner too much. Grease works fine on worn
trunnions. It's a great way to tell they are worn out! If you can get
grease in there, they're shot.

I would assume both are worn out. So plan to replace the bushings at
least. If the horizontal pin in the trunnion is in good shape on both
sides, you can reuse it. If it is worn or gouged or rusty, I'd replace
it. The bushings in the end of the wishbone will need to be reamed to
fit either with new or the current trunnions. I doubt your vertical link
will need replacing, but while your at it I'd suggest replacing the ball
joint, and all the inner bushings, upper and lower and maybe the tie rod
ends. I prefer to use polyurethane in the inner wishbone, it wears
longer. But some folks prefer the original rubber ones.

I'd suggest waiting until your springs arrive and maybe giving them a
try before swapping for the shorter ones. Just leave the spacer out when
you install them. You may like the ride. If not, you can always switch
back to a short spring. You bring up a good point, though... don't rely
on the commission number for everything. In the case of the spacers,
it's easy to pull a wheel and see if they are in place.

Good luck!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L