RE: Calibration of TR4A Temp Gage

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: Calibration of TR4A Temp Gage
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 17:26:04 -0400
Message text written by Peter Zaborski
><http://www.cyberbia.com/peterz/tr6/temp_gauge/temp_gauge.html>
<

I thought more about your data.  I think that the difference between
the heating and cooling data is that the sender may not have caught up
with the water temperature if it was changing relatively fast.  It read
artificially high when cooling and artificially low when heating. Probably the
actual calibration was closer to the cooling than heating....

Your data suggests an 82 degree C operating temp (180F) would have a resistance
of about 57 ohms.  That is really close to that my gauge would expect.

I took an ancient spare sender I got off a junker and stuck it in my
car.  It worked AND the gauge now reads just a tick over the middle at
180F operating temp.  Now I am pretty sure the system is reading a reliable
indication.  If it gets into the HOT range, then it MUST be HOT!  Previously
it was so close to the hot range, I would not have been sure it was really
an urgent problem....

-TOny