Re: turn flashers on TR6

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: turn flashers on TR6
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 14:43:31 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: kehrlich@dyax.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 1 Jun 1999 DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> >  Now if anyone knows the spec of a screw in halogen bulb that can replace
> >  the OEM bulb in the dash flasher indicator light, that would help even
>
> I don't recommend that. The space for that bulb is pretty tight, with no
> cooling air flow, so you could get a meltdown with a higher powered bulb. An
> alternative would be to rewire in a new indicator somewhere on the dash, or
> rewire the hazard indicator lamp so it works with the TS instead.  I really
> don't think we need that big light to tell us the hazards are working.

I agree with Dan- Halogens have to get mighty hot in order to do their
magic (B fields and T fields that cause the excited electrons to whiz
around, emit photons, and splat back into the filament).  You can get
small halogens intended for use as side marker lights, but they're pretty
expensive ($15 for puny bulb, I think) AND the tip is covered with black
stuff, so they probably wouldn't shine light in the right direction.

It might be possible to use a large panel-style green LED, but I think
you'd have to step down the voltage or regulate it so that you wouldn't
burn it out.  I have a Digi-Key catalog here, which has a whole pile of
assorted electronics stuff here, but a quick look doesn't reveal much for
"12V, 1/2" dia. green LEDs".

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm