Re: turn flashers on TR6

To: kehrlich@dyax.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: turn flashers on TR6
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:22:46 EDT
In a message dated 6/1/99 12:34:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kehrlich@dyax.com writes:

> Listers-
>
>  Thanks to everyone for the huge response last week on my turn signal
>  flasher question. >snip< The click is loud enough to be
>  heard over the Monzas (most of the time) and so far, since installing,
>  the shaking fists and fingers pointing at the lower front of my car from
>  oncoming traffic seem to have stopped.

Keith,

May I make a suggestion for those (like me) who have a hard time hearing the
flasher over the road noise?  Go to Radio Shack and buy a 12 volt buzzer or
chime module -- just pick one that has a very low power drain and a sound
that you like. Connect the positive lead of the buzzer/chime to the light
green/slate wire on your flasher unit, and the negative lead to the light
green/brown wire. Don't move any of the existing wires, just add the module
wiring to it.  Your flashers will work as before, but the buzzer/chime will
sound on-off with the flashing lights (thanks to former list member Anne -
forgot her last name - from one of the scandanavian countries for that idea).

>  The innards are pretty
>  sophisticated looking-the only printed circuit board on the car! Hope it
>  works in Y2K ;-)

I hope you have better luck with yours than I've had with mine. I'm about to
replace the third one in less than three years.

>  Now if anyone knows the spec of a screw in halogen bulb that can replace
>  the OEM bulb in the dash flasher indicator light, that would help even
>  more.

I don't recommend that. The space for that bulb is pretty tight, with no
cooling air flow, so you could get a meltdown with a higher powered bulb. An
alternative would be to rewire in a new indicator somewhere on the dash, or
rewire the hazard indicator lamp so it works with the TS instead.  I really
don't think we need that big light to tell us the hazards are working.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74