Caliper Question

To: pbitton@axess.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Caliper Question
From: JIM_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:39:35 -0400

--openmail-part-1871c0c6-00000001

Bonjour Mr. Bitton,
I don't think you need to worry all that much about the calipers being split,
if you still have the O-rings that go between the two halves (and if they look
like they're in good shape). Before anyone ever told me not to separate the
halves, I did it a number of times on various Volvos I used to own (also
Girling brakes) and it was never a problem when I put them back together. I
took them apart to make it easier to extract stuck pistons.
If you do replace the O-rings, be sure to get the right composition that will
withstand brake fluid. I think it might be neoprene, but I'm not sure of that.
Someone on the list will know; it will be the same stuff that the seals in the
master cylinders are made of.
You could paint them using barbeque paint. It's wonderful stuff - it takes lots
of heat and looks good, and you can get it at your local hardware store without
having to pay a fortune.
If you want to get fancier you can use the paint meant for woodstoves - it
comes in red, green, blue, and maybe some other colours. I've only seen it in a
woodstove store, but maybe you can get it in a good hardware store. You can
actually paint the uninsulated stovepipe with it so it must be able to take a
lot of heat.
Regards,
Jim Wallace

Unfortunately I separated my calipers. Now that it is done, I was wondering
if anyone knows what type of sealer I can use. I went to an auto parts place
and they didn't know. Also, I am painting them. Do I need to use a high
temperature resistant paint?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

TR-6 70 and 73