Re: Red IGN light

To: robc@cisco.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Red IGN light
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:22:28 EDT
In a message dated 6/1/99 12:50:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, robc@cisco.com
writes:

> Hi all
>
>  I'm literally hours away from owning my first TR6 (or LBC for that
>  matter).  My prospective purchase is being examined by the local Brit
>  mechanic as I type.  If all is good, or only a few days effort away from
>  passing inspection, I'll be handing over a cheque tonight.

Rob,

Congratulations!  I'm sure you will enjoy it, I know I do mine.

>  But while I wait anxiously for "the phone call", can anyone tell me what
>  the little red light on the tach (I think) on a 76 TR6 is trying to tell
>  me?  It would come on intermitently, while stopped I think (of course I
>  was busy watching the road while not stopped).

Rob,

There are two red warning lights on the tach: one is a low oil pressure
warning and the other is the alternator warning light.

If it's the oil pressure warning light, it means you either have low oil
pressure or a bad oil pressure sender. Oil pressure normally drops quite a
bit at idle, but usually not enough to illuminate the warning lamp.

If it's the lamp that says"ign" go to:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/alternator-overview.html

for an explaination.

Dan Masters,