RE: TR4 lower trunion tech note

Subject: RE: TR4 lower trunion tech note
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:28:48 -0800
Cc: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Alan :

IMHO, the "nyloc" nuts are a workable solution (after all, the factory used
them on the lower inner pivots).  I used them on my (half done) front end
rebuild, and although I don't plan to go to Sears Point with my car, I do
plan to cruise 101 !

However, don't forget that the nuts are supposed to be replaced anytime
they are removed !  The holding power of the nylon lessens every time the
nut is removed and replaced.  In an emergency, you can 'make do' by
smacking the top of the nut with a BFH, so the nylon is spread back into
the hole.  (There is a store in Downey that sells nyloc nuts for $2/pound.)

The nyloc nuts are also probably going to mess up the "4 ft lbs" step.  The
procedure I used (which I think I read somewhere), was to just tighten each
side in turn until it "grabbed" (ie the joint became too tight to move by
hand), and then loosen 1-1/2 flats.

Randall